Fall is bursting at the seams over in Chicago this week. Trees alight with every autumnal hue the eye could dream of and brilliant mums popping up in flower beds all across the city. I simply cannot get enough of it. The end of every work day finds me outside – for a stroll, a run, a stretch, whatever – soaking in this last bit of warmth that the sun will provide for the next six months (eeek!).
Yesterday, while cooking dinner, A turned to me and suggested we start running together later this winter – for safety, of course, in the Arctic tundra that Chicago morphs into come December, but also because he clearly feels the pull as well. This magnetic force of the outdoors. I’ll strap metal ice cleats to my running shoes and bundle in layers of compression gear before restricting my training to the indoors. I know, so dramatic.
So this weekend you won’t be surprised that we’re hopping the city limits, bound for Starved Rock State Park for day-hiking and leaf spectating. God good am I hoping the weather holds out for us. But if she doesn’t, there’s Oktoberfest at the main lodge calling my name…
In case you’re in the mood for additional reading this weekend, here’s some bits and pieces of the internet that caught my eye over the past week. Want more? Check out the Weekend Edition archives.
- WEAR // Twin Peaks inspired fashions. Audrey Horn, forever.
- DISCOVER // A home at the end of Google Earth. Keep the tissues nearby, folks.
- DEBATE // David Bryne’s declaration that the internet will suck creativity out of the world.
- READ // Amy Poehler’s New Yorker op-ed on summer jobs + the real world
- RUN // “…from complacent mediocrity, attempting to achieve a life less ordinary.”
- EXPLORE // The home of a female astronaut
- EAT // Anti-inflammatory kale + pepitas + cranberry salad
- LAUGH //At jerk cats stealing dog beds
- LISTEN // To Nirvana’s “All Apologies” from the 20th Anniversary In Utero Remaster
And here’s a couple recent posts you may have missed…